Saturday, March 19, 2011

Surprises

I had a family fundraiser last weekend. My aunt rented a hall and put on a dinner-dance to raise money for disease research that her daughter had before she died. I was excited to see my family, but more than that I was nervous and apprehensive about the whole "dancing" aspect of it. When my cousin got married in october I was able to walk down the aisle, but once the music started playing I just sat around watching everyone else dance. I left the reception around 10pm and went back to my hotel room and cried. I was sure that saturday would just be a repeat of that night, and I was prepared with extra leave-early plans just in case.

It turns out I didn't need those plans and that - though it was hard - I was able to dance. They even played a justin bieber song! (!!!!!!!!) I was still nervous, and by no means was I getting down on the floor like my pre-car accident self. but I was out and moving and moving enough to make it fun. I really surprised myself that night, and even though I left early anyway (a tad sore), I went to bed with a smile on my face.

The world works in mysterious ways, I think. I spent three weeks thinking that I would forever have a painful limp and not be able to move. And then over the weekend I moved and danced more than I've been able to since the summer. Sometimes things can surprise you. Sometimes you can surprise yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment